Visiting RTF Property in Winter
As the colors turn on the leaves, that first big snow storm is potentially just around the corner. Travel on the Rubicon during this time of year can become a life or death struggle faster than most people are aware.
Visiting the RTF Property after the Little Rubicon Crossing and heading down to FOTR camp requires going down Trash Can Hill. TCH is fairly steep, and in the best of conditions, can be a struggle. While the RTF Property is open to the public 365/24/7, in winter conditions be extra vigilant.
- Check the weather conditions on Thursday before your planned departure. Check our Condition Page for current and potential weather.
- Read our vehicle preparation page. This time of year you have to be highly self-sufficient due to reduced traffic.
- Always have enough food and water to make it several days beyond your expected departure.
- Pack warm clothing beyond what you think you’ll need. Expect the unexpected.
- Know where the Trash Can Hill winch plate is before going down.
If you follow these basic tips, you can keep your trip from turning into a life or death struggle.