El Dorado County Rubicon Oversight Committee Meeting Info.
Zoom meeting February 10, 2021, 6:30 p.m.
Meeting Purpose: For agencies to provide an update to the user community of issues and topics related to the Rubicon Trail and to get public input on grant applications for 2021.
Agencies providing Updates:
- California State Parks Off Highway Motor Vehicle Division
- Callan from State Parks introduced the new Deputy Director, Sarah
- Sarah announced the 50th Anniversary of OHV and looking forward to meeting with everyone
- Jenn discussed grant cycle- March 1st Applications Due, May 2-3 Public Comment, June 7th Final Applications Due, Sept. 2nd Post Awardees
- El Dorado County
- Vickie provided a report that there was an increased usage in 2020 on Trail.
- Weekly pumping was done on the restrooms
- Helicopter project put 829,400 lbs rock on trail
- Gabions were placed in some locations
- Justin has moved out of state and Prescott will be taking his place
- Adopt-A-Trail- areas not adopted – Loon Lake Intertie #1, Ellis Creek, walker Rock, Buck Island- if interested contact Vickie
- Project List- looking for Kiosk volunteer and someone to do Buck Island Rest Stop, & special events
- Other project to use excavator – Walker Hill Wall to the right of hillside due to erosion. Improvement for Axle Rock, finish climb before Bowl
- Education Campaign is FIRE
- Grants Applying for- Group Op (rock at Soup Bowl), education, maintenance, restoration & planning
- Finish the following projects- Pumpkin Patch, Property Line, saw Tooth & Scout Hole
- Jeep Corporation working with Electrify America who is working with County on charging stations- there are no locations as of yet
El Dorado County Sheriff’s -Michael Seligsohn will be in charge of patrolling the trail. Background in boats but looking forward to Rubicon.
Placerville County Sheriff’s- Chris in charge of OHV on trail – looking forward to collaboration and being on trail more.
- Bob asked if they are sharing patrol and -Michael Seligsohn said they are each in charge of their own counties. Bob wants to work with each of them on JJ. Chris mentioned he would love to collaborate and be on trail more.
- Tim Peterson will be returning as well as Steve, Craig & Eddie for El Dorado County side.
- Placer County
- Peter introduced himself and talked about snow removal and making users and community happier. John Arenz commented on the great job with snow removal.
- John Arenz and Del Albright mentioned a desire for Placer County to be more involved on trail. Peter mentioned that there is not the political will to do so.
- Tahoe National Forest
- Joe Chavez talked about work done at mud hole
- Tim Green asked if this was a temporary work around or permanent as the trail holds history. Joe said temporary. Tim mentioned that if the trail site moved it raises concern of losing historical parts of the trail.
- Joe mentioned that they will not have big grant funds available this year but has 98,000 lbs of rock to fill from Barker Pass and the work they started in 2020. Will need volunteers to spread rock.
- Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit
- Mike mentioned that they are paving the staging area. John asked if they were putting lines and he said no. John agreed
- Bathroom pumping will be done this year
- Looking for volunteer for bathrooms
- El Dorado National Forest
- Karl mentioned that they are putting more dumpsters towards Loon Lake side
- Not sure if they will have restrictions around campgrounds or not.